The human body as we know it is much more than just a physical being. We also have a deeply powerful energetic body, influencing all areas of our life. This energy travels through the main energy wheels of the body or the chakras of the body.
By aligning the spine, each chakra is associated with different aspects of our life and has different functions, including the physical, psychological, energetic, and spiritual areas of our life.
The practice of awakening your chakras, removing your body from the blockages of these energies, and welcoming positive energies into these 7 important areas is accomplished through a variety of different techniques, including meditation and yoga.
When the 7 chakras are awakened and centered in the body, we are in turn open to a new level of spiritual awakening, an important step in our journey towards enlightenment.
In her book ‘The Ultimate Guide to Chakra Meditation: How to Activate and Balance the 7 Chakras’ Jerriann J. Taber, Ph.D. writes,
“By clearing (removing/transforming) energy blockages and releasing the energy trapped in the subtle energy system, an individual consciously feels, recovers and relives old parts of himself that were lost in the original separation from God. In our journey through life, many have stored up fear, pain, fear of pain, resentment, pain, and anger. “
Chakra 1: Muladhara
Roots, alignment, earth
Located at the base of the spine, this chakra encompasses the first three vertebrae, the bladder, and the colon. Muladhara is often called the root chakra, associated with grounding, stability, and survival.
When the Muladhara is activated and open, we feel feelings of safety and security, as well as courage and fearlessness in our approach to life.
Chakra 2: Swadisthana
Sensation, flow, water
The Swadisthana is located slightly below the navel and is highly concentrated on the reproductive organs of the body. Associated with both our sexual center and our creative expression, this chakra is known as the sacred chakra.
It is linked to our relationships, our sexuality, our empathy, and our pleasure, directly impacting the way we consider those with whom we are in contact.
Chakra 3: Manipura
Located roughly on the navy, the Manipura is also known as the solar plexus chakra. This chakra is where we draw our own personal power, associated with will, power, joy, motivation, and self-esteem.
Activating and opening the Manipura will give you feelings of empowerment and courage. This will trigger the dynamism and energy necessary to confidently continue our path to enlightenment.
Chakra 4: Anahata
Awakening to the spiritual path
Known as the Heart Chakra and located in the middle of the chest, Anahata is the center of spiritual growth, unconditional affection, devotion, love, compassion and acceptance self. As this is where the spirit resides, it is the chakra that will direct our spiritual journey.
It acts as a bridge between the lower energies (the first 3 chakras, known as “matter chakras”) and the higher energies (the last 3 chakras, known as “spirit chakras”). In this way, it serves as a link between our body, our mind, our spirit, and our emotions.
Chakra 5: Vishuddha
Communication (internal/external), the power of sound vibration
Also known as the throat chakra, the Vishuddha draws its energy from sound vibrations, which is why the “Om” sound, often associated with meditation, is so powerful.
It can also be activated by singing or other means of making harmonious sounds. This chakra includes the neck, thyroid, jaw, mouth, and tongue. Associated with communication, intuition, synthesis, the desire to speak and self-expression, the Vishuddha is the place where our inner voice and truth are expressed.
Chakra 6: Ajna
The third eye
Located between the eyebrows, the Ajna chakra is also known as the “third eye” chakra. It is through these energies that we are able to visualize things and experience intuitive knowledge.
Associated with light, knowledge, intuition, perception, self-control, wisdom, and imagination, the Ajna chakra focuses on spiritual vision and knowledge. The activation and opening of this chakra directly corresponds to the experience of spiritual awakening.
Chakra 7: Sahasrara
The Sahasrara or Crown Chakra chakra is located at the top of your head.
It is a representation of the highest level of enlightenment and consciousness, creating a connection between ourselves, our higher self and, ultimately, the divine.
Recommended Book for You:
Learn chakra balancing techniques so you’ll be able to heal your chakras into perfect alignment and attract wealth and abundance into your life.
To align with your chakras, try this meditation technique:
- Sit comfortably in a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. Sit straight, lengthen your spine and breathe gently, but deeply, while closing your eyes.
- Imagine a ball of energy at your feet. Breathe in and let it expand, slowly reaching the size of a beach ball.
- Visualize this movement of the ball towards the root chakra, feel it as it moves through your feet and legs, warming your body with its energy. When it reaches the chakra, imagine it glowing.
- As the energy continues to move north toward the sacred chakra, the color changes to orange, the energy continuing to warm the body and each of the organs individually.
- Now continue to move the energy to the chakra of the solar plexus, feeling each organ hot as it moves through your body. Visualize the energy ball changing to a yellow color in this area.
- Let the energy ball continue to move slowly in your body, warming everything up and turning green when it reaches the heart chakra. Continue to maintain a calm, deep breath throughout your meditation.
- When the energy ball moves towards the throat chakra, visualize it turning blue. Allow it to warm your throat and feel your breath as it moves through this energy, also heating up at this time.
- Feel the heat on your face as the energy continues to rise in the body, warming your lips, nose, and eyes. As it reaches the third eye chakra between your eyebrows, imagine it now in an indigo color. At this point, feel the energy gain power as it moves through the spiritual chakras.
- Once you feel that the third eye chakra aligns with the others (which may take longer than the previous chakras), feel the energy go up to the crown chakra. When the energy reaches this point, you should feel heat throughout your body.
- Once your crown chakra aligns with the others, release the energy upward towards the universe. Concentrate once more on your breathing and thank yourself for the time and attention you have devoted to practicing self-esteem with this exercise. Gently open your eyes. Allow yourself to sit for a while if necessary to return fully to the world around you before getting up.